Thursday, December 4, 2008

big deer Franklin County Virginia



Here is a picture of a huge deer killed in Franklin County Virginia hardly a mile from my house a few days ago. It is a main frame 8 pointer, but I hear it had 16 counting all the smaller kickers. It's hard to count them from the pictures. This thing is a monster, and I hear it scored 216. Congrats to the hunter. That's one to be proud of.

It looks a lot like the same deer I have been seeing for a couple years around that area but I never could get him. If it is the same one he was pretty much nocturnal the last couple years it seemed to me. The one I saw came out only about an hour after dark on a pretty regular basis, and where he was coming from was difficult to get to.

3 comments:

superd said...

the only way this deer was seen was by illeagaly shining a light on private property, you better watch that. you can bet we are watching!

Tony said...

And you know this how? I don't personally know the fellow that killed it, but I know a few of the guys he hunts with. They are a good group of hunters as far as I know. They have a large tract of land leased that is some of the best hunting in Franklin County. It's the biggest deer taken off this particular mountain area in a long time. These guys do their homework and put their efforts in managing deer all year long. Good for them.

Todd said...

superd and others,
This deer was not spotlighted or shot illegally. The reason I know this is because, I am the one who killed him. Me and some of my friends have been trying to kill this deer for the past 2 years. If we wanted to spotlight him he would have been dead 2 years ago. I can tell by your comments you wrote, that you are like alot of other hunters that shoot everything that walks. That is why you never see big bucks. We have worked hard managing our property. That does'nt mean just with food plots. I am talking about, only shooting the deer that are ready to be harvested. Thanks Tony for your comments and congradulating attitude.

Todd